Dec 9, 2009

Amped Bikes Geared Front Hub

I've been searching the web for some time now in the hunt for a well priced, well made internal electric hub. The folks at AmpedBikes.com seem to have put a lot of effort into their product while keeping the price within reach. They recently announced a high efficiency disc compatible geared hub making it the perfect match for my new Seek 1. Its a 350W-450W brush-less Geared motor weighing 9lbs and capable of 20 m/h (32 km/h) and a stated range of approx. 15 miles (2-3x that if you pedal as well). 

On battery power alone I should be able to get to and from work on a single charge - of course this is the worst case scenario since I plan on pedaling my entire ride in order to stay fit. In fact I plan on using pedal power alone for the majority of my rides home.

What's nice about the geared motor is its ability to freewheel when not under power - their other 'direct drive' motors don't have this ability. This means I can ride my bike normally when the battery dies without fighting the motor or just leave the battery at home when I feel like a pleasure cruise. Another nice feature is the size. As you can see in the photo the disc is actually larger then the motor itself making it quite a bit more stealthy in appearance then its larger counterparts.


At this point it looks like this will be my motor of choice!

5 comments:

  1. I was thinking of getting the same motor for my bike to make my bike commute more attractive. Have you started riding with the motor yet? I'll keep an eye on your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't buy anything from Amped Bikes. Their connectors are crap and will short out on you (I've heard of several people this has happened to, including me), and their support is practically non-existent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. does the quick release setup work well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just replace any crappy connectors with a high amperage deans plug or power pole connector. Cheap and simple fix to an otherwise great product. I'd recommend looking into a Cyclone-USA kit though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished 2 weeks with my Amped Kit. Front direct drive Lithium Battery. Took 2 hours to install, got all the install help I needed via the phone and email. High quality and it works great.

    ReplyDelete