Jan 8, 2010

The cost of commuting (or is it the savings?)

Here is a link to a list of all my expenses related to my daily commute. Wherever possible I will include all the details in order to give the most accurate costs involved. All prices are quoted in $CAD and total savings are based on the Transit Costs for the year.

Click inside the table and use your mouse to scroll up and down. Click here if the spreadsheet below does not display correctly


A Few Notes
  1. Bikes - I like nice bikes, but that doesn't mean you have to. If you need to keep your costs low try looking at something around the $500 price point. Generally its a nice balance between quality and value. For example take a look at the Louise Garneau Sub-0.
  2. Clothing -  I will try to price out specific items that I feel are a 'must have', but in some cases I either can't remember what I paid or already had the item. For example I already own some base layers (long johns and wool tops), but did buy winter riding gloves. Where ever possible I'll make notes regarding this.
  3. Annual Savings - Realistically I don't expect to be riding the same bike, with the same parts for the next 10 years. Things will inevitably brake down or wear out, but regardless it gives you a good idea of the cost savings you can expect in the long run. Not to mention the health benefits which are hard to quantify.

No comments:

Post a Comment