Jan 15, 2010

Seek 1 Performance

For some reason I forgot to mention how well my Giant Seek 1 performed during my inaugural ride last week. As I've mentioned before I had a few concerns about the rear hubs shifting and the hydraulic brakes performance in extreme cold. At somewhere around -7C (-11C with the windchill) neither of these components presented any problems - shifting was smooth right out of the gate and the brakes seemed as responsive as ever.

I thought the brake levers may be slow to spring back but I didn't find this to be an issue at all. According to WikiAnswers "-30C(-22F) is listed as the freezing point for mineral oil. Due to viscosity (how thick the fluid is, basically), however, it's lowest useful temperature is considered to be 10C (50F)." I knew that once the brake lines had seen some use and warmed up there wouldn't be any issues at all, but I was more then happy to discover that even at these temperatures the brakes perform as they should.

The same is true for the Alfine rear hub - I expected the shifting to be a bit sluggish to start but ease up during the ride. I was surprised to find it shifting easily from the start.

Clearly neither of my initial concerns were warranted, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on things as temperatures change (up or down) and report back with any observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment