Jan 8, 2010

Good Things Do Come in 3's!

Not only did my new iPhone arrive today but so did my new Schwalbe Mararhon Winters and my Amped front wheel kit! I was hoping to ride in today for the first the this year but ran out of time last night installing the new tires.


As you can see the tires arrived not folded but twisted (for lack of a better word). Peter White Cycles is pretty clear about this fact on their site, and its mostly due to the bead on these tires - folding them would crimp the bead. The only downside of this is the added shipping costs involved in the larger package requirements. Also, letting these tires sit for a day or two once installed is probably a good idea since they tend to be twisted out of shape a bit - not sure I would like to hop on these right away!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to ride in today because it took me longer to install them then I thought - these are substantial tires to work with and not nearly as flexible as the slicks I removed. However, they definitely look like they'll do the job. Below is a picture of the tire installed on my front rim.


Tire Clearance
I have found a few posts on other forums regarding tire clearance issues with the Seek series of Giant bikes. For this reason I ordered a 700c 42 for the front, and a 700c 35 for the rear. After mounting the front tire I tried to dry fit it to the rear and there is definitely no room for a 42mm version of this tire in the back (no photo but trust me!).

Amped Motor
For those interested here is a picture of the Amped motor I ordered. As you can see everything is very well packaged for shipping and all the components appear to be in perfect condition. I was surprised at a couple of the components - for example the controller unit is quite a bit smaller then I had imagined, and more along the lines of a cigarette pack then an external hard drive.



Once I get my battery pack (whichever one I decide to buy) I'll get this puppy installed and up and running. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment